Paranormal? What do you believe?

FiFi

Founding Member
I have a fascination for all things paranormal. My partner and I have conducted investigations which has included being locked in a castle during the night. Is this something which you possibly believe in? What about life after death? Love to read your opinions!👻

Bee

Founding Member
How long have you got...?!

There are three that I can recall with clarity.

1. My mum still lives in the house that belonged to her parents. When she was a little girl, she'd play in the garden and Mrs Barclay next door, would stand in her bedroom window, brushing her hair, watching my mum playing.

I was about 17 and sitting at the kitchen table when Mum came in from the garden, looking pale and shaky. I asked her what was wrong and she explained she'd been pegging sheets on the washing line, glanced up, and waved to Mrs Barclay as she used to do as a child. Only Mrs B had been dead 14 years...

2. I lived in a house with really bad energy. I should start though by saying that I don't have much time for hippy-dippy crystal energy stuff, but there was definitely something off about this house. I'll PM you the story - it's very long and complicated.

3. I had a cat called Raisin and another called Princess. Princess was deaf and kept to herself - she'd sleep most of the time. Raisin was almost like a dog. He loved chasing (and fetching) balls of paper if I threw them. Princess never bothered as she couldn't hear it rustling. Raisin died suddenly, aged 2, and the following day, I was sitting watching tv and feeling very sad, when Princess woke up suddenly, and stalked a ball of paper that had gone under the tv unit - and brought it back to me. She'd never done that before - or ever again.

FiFi

Founding Member
Wow! Some awesome experiences! I go and look for spirits, we have special equipment to try and communicate with spirits using an EVP device and have had some great results!

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Bee, feel free to post your story on this thread if it is not too personal. You might earn a Like for it. :p

FiFi

Founding Member
It was fun! The only part that scared me was climbing to the top of the ramparts at 3am in the morning. The sensation up there was vile, I felt sick and I could smell the fear. It was very intense! Needless to say I came back down pretty fast! Also, they had an Ouija board session which Ian and I refused to take part in.

Bee

Founding Member
I'm really glad you refused to take part in the Ouija board session. I don't whether it's because of my Catholic upbringing or not, but I have a mortal fear of them.

FiFi

Founding Member
Absolutely! My dad was in the RAF during the latter part of WW2. Him and some friends decided to hold an Ouija board session, something happened that scared him so badly, he said he would never tell me what happened but knowing that I was interested in the paranormal, he made me promise never to use one and i wont. They are bad news.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
My parents did the Ouija board a long time ago with some friends. It kept going to the number 3. Then, 3 weeks later my grandma died.

I found the Ouija board in the cupboard. Thought it was some kind of new Monopoly game or something. I was told off! For some strange reason, I thought it was called a Luigi board. Some Italian thing!

Bee

Founding Member
I shared a house with 2 other women in Reading, back in the late 80s. Anne, and Michelle. It's important to understand the layout of the house:

The stairs were immediately in front of you when you opened the front door and at the top of the stairs was an airing cupboard with the hot water tank. The door to the cupboard had a ball-catch which was really stiff. You had to pull the handle hard to open it - and the bottom of the door also dragged on the carpet.

Downstairs, to get to the sitting room, you had to take a left through the kitchen. Then the sitting room ran across the back of the house, with a conservatory going across the width of the house on the back.

There was a lot of glass in the windows and doors and I started to notice shadows in my peripheral vision, but when I looked directly, there was nothing there. I assumed it was because of all the glass.

We then had a problem with the phone line. It would cut off mid-call, or we couldn't get a dial tone. The BT engineer was out to the house more times than I can count. He must have changed almost everything it was possible to change - but there was no difference. None of our neighbours had the same problem.

The conservatory was always freezing. FREEZING. Even in the summer. And none of us used it - it just felt bad.

So, Anne had a boyfriend called Ady. He would never sit downstairs with us, but instead go straight up to her room. We got used to hearing the front door close and him going up the stairs.

About the time I started noticing the shadows, I also started noticing that the airing cupboard door kept swinging open. Eventually, I mentioned it to Anne and Michelle and they were both amazed because they'd noticed it too - and hadn't wanted to say anything. I asked if Ady had heard or seen anything as it was only an hour or so since it had last happened - and Anne told me he hadn't visited for 2 days - yet I'd clearly heard footsteps on the stairs.

[as I'm writing this, I'm shivering - and it's bringing back some tricky memories]

One night, I was working late and I got back to the house to find Anne had covered up the glass doors into the conservatory with a blanket. It seems her and Michelle had decided to 'exorcise' the conservatory and she was convinced she'd seen something. I went mad. For the same reasons as I would about a Ouija Board.

Brian, my then boyfriend and soon to be husband, went into the conservatory and challenged whatever it was to show itself. To this day, he won't talk about what he saw/felt. And he's not the kind of guy that scares easily.

Soon after, Anne woke up in the middle of the night and she was climbing out of her bedroom window. If she hadn't woken up, she'd have gone through the conservatory (glass) roof. Her headboard was on the shared wall with the airing cupboard.

I moved out.

Bee

Founding Member
I really don't know. I'm open-minded - something wasn't right there though. And even though it's almost 30 years ago, I have got goosebumps just writing about it.

I tend to be a skeptic. The only thing spooky about MOST New Orleans houses is that we are on ground that sometimes isn't so solid. As house foundations give just a little, the corners deviate slightly from "true" and that causes a lot of doors to want to open by gravity or by pressure caused by the unevenness of the frame. The houses creak and "groan" sometimes because of that.

That goes for any place in south Louisiana. If you got a USA map and looked at 30 deg N and 90 deg W, you would find New Orleans. To our north is a lake called Ponchartrain. The closest "bedrock" foundations are north of that lake. So all the houses anywhere near us will creak and shift. And as a result, MANY things will go "bump" in the night.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an idea...I am colour blind. What you see is not quite what I see. This is a genetic aberration that makes me see things that you don't and vice-versa. Could paranormal experiences be the same thing? Some people feel more receptive to these things than others. Throw in our own individual belief systems and you could have multi-layered filters that can hinder or enhance our ability to see "things".

Many people are skeptics, yet at the same time may believe in a religion, which is on a spiritual plain. Is there any difference?

Last edited:

FiFi

Founding Member
It's a good point! I think some people have extra sensory perception, children and animals are supposed to have ESP, and maybe some adults never loose it. I believe some people are more "in tune" with the paranormal. I think I am an empathetic, I sence the presents of spirits, or I think I do!!