Intermittent fasting

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
There has been much hype about intermittent fasting in recent years, backed up by a lot of strong science. Part of the impetus for this was a BBC documentary by Dr Michael Mosely. I remember watching it back then and there was much skepticism. But much more study has been done since then and so we have more data on fasting.

This is his website: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/

I did a milder version. You are supposed to have 600 to 800 calories on two fasting days per week, but I had 1200 on each fasting day! I found it easier to stick to than a normal diet because I knew I could scoff myself the following day. :p

Also, religions and philosophers have often recommended or encouraged fasting.

Anyone here tried it?

Last edited:

Bee

Founding Member
One of my close friends fasts twice a week, rigidly. Then during the rest of the week, he's very careful about his calorie intake. Weekends are treat'n'cheat days. He trains 5 times a week - depending on whether it's a fasting day determines whether he does strength or cardio. He's been doing it for more years than he can remember - long before it was a 'thing'. And he's (in his own words) hench. And I'd agree with his assessment.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder what type of fasting he does. There are several different methods. I am starting my own version today! It is 12:44 pm and I haven't eaten anything yet. Feeling a bit peckish. I did get up at 10am though so only been up 2h 45m. For lunch, I have a protein bar (217 cal) and then when I get home, I will get the juicer out and have apple + cucumber + lemon + ginger.

Weight watchers meal for dinner, perhaps.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Update: it is 2:20 pm and I still haven't eaten anything yet today. I am blinking hungry! From one of the videos I watched about IF, they talk about how often we ever feel real hunger. With all our snacking, it is not often we feel those real deep pangs that come from within. Well, I am feeling them now!!

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
It is now 3:51 pm and I am about to have my first meal of the day. A juice compromising of apples, cucumber, lemon and ginger. I think I overdid the ginger after a quick taste! I truly am hungry!

Bee

Founding Member
Drink plenty of water. Often when we think we are hungry, we are actually dehydrated. I'll ask him about his IF routine. And maybe he'll even join this discussion.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it would be great if he could chip in. This is day 1, but he is on day 1,001 so I'm sure has some good pointers.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
So it is the day after my 2nd fast of the week. I am eating a bit more than normal today, as I felt quite peckish! But, I should have lost 1lb this week so far. It is the weekends that are bad for me. I will try not to stuff myself then.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Fasting again today. I found it easier today for some reason. It is 3:45pm and I have just started on my first bit of food for the day, apart from a cappuccino earlier. I make that 16 hours 45 minutes from the last time I had food. Some people do 16:8 fasting instead of 5:2. That means 16 hours fasting, 8 hour eating window (but eating however much you want) vs 5 days normal with 2 days fasting on 1,000 calories per day.

I do feel rather peckish though!!

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Fasting today. I was a bit greedy yesterday, but the amount of calories you cut on a fasting day is always way more than you overeat on a non-fasting day. My cappuccino is keeping me going. I have to wait 3.5 hours before I can eat anything. Then it is a 300 calorie Weight Watchers meal.

A, the Weight Watchers program. May I offer a recommendation? If you can get them, some of the Healthy Choice brand meals are quite good and, if you read the label, they are lower in sodium than many of the low-calorie brands. If you are not that sensitive to salt, then maybe it doesn't matter, but for me with hypertension, low salt is a GOOD thing. (BTW, my hypertension IS controlled with medication - but why tempt fate?)

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think we can get that brand in the UK.

Does reducing salt have much impact on blood pressure? I know it is recommended, but I just wonder how far on the systolic scale, for example, you can reduce the figure by reducing salt intake.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
A fasting day again today. I plan on having:

- my usual cappuccino
- a freshly made apple + cucumber juice
- an egg + a little cheese done in the microwave
- chicken breast and mange tout, with a sauce made from chicken stock boiled down and lemon and oil.

Does reducing salt affect blood pressure? As I understand it, the issue is whether you are salt-sensitive. It is a matter of degree, not kind. For me, salt is not my #1 enemy. For me it is fats & oils, then sugar, then salt. It's all a matter of what hits you the worst.

Insane_AI

Founding Member
I've listened to a couple of nutritionist courses led by actual dieticians. The consensus from them, and I agree, is fasting is bad unless you are doing it for religious reasons and even then, you need to plan it out with your doctor.

Reducing calorie intake, improving caloric quality and increasing mobility are the proper ways to lose weight.

Also, I end up with enough fasting days in response to gastro issues and stress, I don't need to add to the schedule. Even on those days, I make sure to choke something down so I don't go into starvation mode and store whatever I eat as fat anyway.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I've done 4 weeks of fasting now, with 2 fasting sessions per week. I have lost a few pounds and I am now in my "normal" weight range, according to the health charts. I wish I knew what my starting weight was, but hey ho. The important thing is where I am now, not necessarily where I was. So, I intend to keep going and lose some more. It hasn't been that hard, since I can eat what I like for 5 out of 7 days and that suits me just fine! I do intend to be a little restrictive on these days if I can. I don't want to lose all my gains.

In all, the intermittent fasting has been a positive experience for me. It works.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
I end up with enough fasting days in response to gastro issues
When I was having gall bladder and liver issues a few years ago, I wasn't fasting, but my food didn't stay with me long enough to provide a lot of nutritive value. The explosive diarrhea, when it happened, was both physically and literally a draining experience. I lost weight in the worst way possible short of amputation. Better watch out for those gastro problems because the dehydration factor can be significant.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to add on the fasting days...I found having a soup really helped. One pot of soup is 300 calories, but that makes up two bowls of soup. So, I would have one bowl at lunchtime and another one about 4pm. That way, the second bowl effectively replaces a snack. They are quite filling so do a good job. The types I am talking about are the more freshly made ones, rather than tinned.

In the USA, today (11/22/18) is Thanksgiving. Today, many people give thanks regarding their ability to gather friends and family, share a really good meal, and enjoy the day with an attitude of generosity. Regardless of your beliefs, I offer my best wishes to all of you in hopes that something of this day causes you to feel happiness, even if only for a few moments.

As to intermittent fasting? Ain't gonna happen in THIS house. As usual, we will have enough food for a small army. Just our luck that this year, the army is deployed elsewhere. Oh, well - I've got my eye on one of my favorite left-over sandwiches - sliced turkey and cranberry sauce on a long bun. My wife has brought out her holiday hand-towels including one that has some cute graphics and the slogan "I'm going to ride the tryptophan train to Sleepy Town." Fasting? Today that word only has meaning in the dictionary, and the dictionary is taped such that you can't open it to that particular page.