Spam

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
We got our first spam poster today. A Chinese supplier. So I tried out the mod tools. They are brilliant on this software! A couple of clicks and you get the option to delete all their threads, posts, ban the ip etc all in one go. Fantastic!

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Every morning, I check The Mind Tavern. Currently, all posts are being moderated. And every day there is at least 1 spam post I have to Reject. Oh the woes of being a administrator. I'm not sure how much spam my other forum gets but probably more than here! In any case, it is such a nuisance!

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
As a member of the other forum, I have not noticed that much spam - but you have more people who are some level of admin on that forum. Plus, it is a different base bulletin board type of software, so maybe the spammers are targeting the newer sites. It's a known tactic. We used to see it all the time when I was working with the U.S. Navy. The logic is usually that the newer site is thought to have fewer anti-spamming tools and policies in place so is the easier target.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I heavily modified the other site, so there were several hoops to go through. e.g. removing what version of the software it was, adding captcha to signups, min 5 or 10 posts before links can be posted, some back-end stuff linking to stopforumspam, I think there might be a honeypot on there, and obviously the great work there from the mods. There was a time when there was about 50 spam messages a day, all manually cleaned up. That's when I had to get stuck in to do as much automated prevention as possible.