Hello, World!

Hi. I'm Izzaldin Samir. I live in Baghdad, Iraq. I'm learning web development. I'm in my last high school year before college. I'm planning to use SuperMemo to remember what I learn from web development stuff also I'm planning to get the Advanced English collection from SuperMemo since my primary language is Arabic and I want to be comfortable at English to the point I can read programming topics.

PS: "Hello, World!" is what a programmer type in his first program (well most of the time).

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Good luck with your goals in life. A career in web development won't make you fabulously wealthy but it is likely to keep you reasonable well and steadily employed. Which is also a worth goal. And your English so far looks pretty good to me.

Good luck with your goals in life. A career in web development won't make you fabulously wealthy but it is likely to keep you reasonable well and steadily employed. Which is also a worth goal. And your English so far looks pretty good to me.
Thanks for the comment, but I'm not doing it for a career that my hobby and I like to make websites :D hopefully my career gonna be a dentist if I get good grades this year which is :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
Yeah I know I'm not bad at English but I want to go to the complex level :)

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
Hello there Izzaldin, and welcome to the forum.

That's an interesting observation there Richard, "A Noble profession!"

Reminded me of something, I can't remember which country it was, I've got a sneaky suspicion it was Spain, however the gist of it is - The trade of "plumber" is well respected in the UK, but I think in Spain it is considered shall we say less than desirable? I might have the countries and profession wrong by the way!

The point is that some countries consider one profession/occupation to be desirable, and another country would consider the same profession undesirable.

Hello there Izzaldin, and welcome to the forum.

That's an interesting observation there Richard, "A Noble profession!"

Reminded me of something, I can't remember which country it was, I've got a sneaky suspicion it was Spain, however the gist of it is - The trade of "plumber" is well respected in the UK, but I think in Spain it is considered shall we say less than desirable? I might have the countries and profession wrong by the way!

The point is that some countries consider one profession/occupation to be desirable, and another country would consider the same profession undesirable.
Actually you are right like here in Iraq everybody desire to be a doctor while I believe in other countries IT related stuff may be more desirable.

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
Actually you are right like here in Iraq everybody desire to be a doctor while I believe in other countries IT related stuff may be more desirable.
I suspect any medical related profession is desirable anywhere in the world, mainly due to the time and effort that goes into developing the skills required. The problem with IT is there's always the moving goalpost syndrome, you learn one programming language and programming technique, and it quickly goes out of fashion. You end up having to learn another language/skill. Mind you I suspect the same must be happening to a degree in the medical field?

I suspect any medical related profession is desirable anywhere in the world, mainly due to the time and effort that goes into developing the skills required. The problem with IT is there's always the moving goalpost syndrome, you learn one programming language and programming technique, and it quickly goes out of fashion. You end up having to learn another language/skill. Mind you I suspect the same must be happening to a degree in the medical field?
Well technology is fast man!

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums Izzaldin. No doubt found here via the SuperMemo Discord channel I created. This little space on the Interweb needs smart people like yourself. More cognitive power!

I am interested in the future of medicine. Look forward to when they can regrow enamel, gums, and whole teeth! There's tons of research going on, as you probably know better than me. I've also always wanted a toothbrush that cleans all your teeth in one go. My idea is you clamp down your teeth on this "contraption" and start it up like an electric toothbrush. It spins its' brushes and the whole gob gets cleaned at once! :D

[Grammar checkers: Did I use its' correctly?]

Bee

Founding Member
It spins its' brushes and the whole gob gets cleaned at once!
No.

You only ever use an apostrophe when you are contracting it and is/has to it's. The apostrophe signifies the missing letter(s).

So you would say:

It's a lovely day to be here by the sea. (It is a lovely day etc.)

or

It spins its brushes etc.