The Six Pack Challenge - accountability thread

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Quick update to say that I hit 13st last Saturday. So, I went out and had some cake! Back on it now as I have another 10lbs to reach my final goal. My jeans are so loose and baggy now and my belt is on its last notch. I'm holding out buying new clothes until I get to about 12st 6lbs. Then a spending spree!

Before I started this challenge, 10lbs would have seemed like a huge amount for me to lose - daunting even. However, since I have already lost 18lbs, it actually just seems like the final stretch. My perceptions have change because I now have historical reference points to help put things in perspective.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I am now down to 12st 9.7lbs. My weight loss has slowed a bit in the last 3 weeks. Part of the reason is that I have been having 3 bits of chocolate per day: twirl, and two lindor choc eggs! Been feeling hungry.

To compensate, I extended my walk from 30m to 37m and doing 40 swimming lengths every Wednesday.

I will look at the data and see where I can trim the calories a little. My LoseIt! app says 21 days to go before I hit 12st 4lbs. Then I celebrate with a pizza. Following that, I have the final run in of a losing an extra 6lbs to get to 12% body fat. I have to be lighter than I originally anticipated because of sarcopenia, I reckon. I have less muscle mass compared to 6 years ago, according to my body fat/weight data.

Anyways, about 50 days to go before I finish the entire project. About 90 days completed in total so far.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting side-note: I have flat feet. But when I was walking in the gym changing rooms, I noticed my wet foot tread pattern was no longer showing the arch of the foot. So, it looks like losing this weight has also helped cure my flat feet! I tried on an old pair of smart shoes and it actually felt better without the arch support inserts in them! It is such a nuisance buying shoes if you have flat feet. Cuts down your choice massively. Maybe that no longer applies. I hope so!

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Just a quick update to say I am now 12st 5.6lbs. My progress has slowed somewhat since I've gone up to 3 bars of chocolate per day on occasion!!

When I get to 12st 4lbs, that will be Stage 2 of the diet done and dusted. I will celebrate with a pizza or some French food from the annual French market that comes to Crowborough in 3 days time. Actually, that would be a pre-celebration because I won't be 12st 4lbs by then! But the food is lovely.

Also, I bought some clothes last weekend. Went down from a Large to Medium in jumpers, rendering my previous stash redundant. Too baggy now. And I got some jeans and shorts, from 36 waist (tight!) down to 34 jeans and 32 shorts. I need a new belt though because I've effectively gone past the last notch on my existing ones.

Once I get to 12st 4lbs, I have the final run-in to 11st 12lbs. Then I have to maintain myself at that weight, of course. It will be a challenge readjusting my eating so that I maintain weight but don't go bananas by eating too much.

Last week when I visited my liver team, I got some great news. I am now within 1 lb 3 oz of my 1st goal weight, which is the "10% off highest weight ever." But not only that - my liver "transplant" score went DOWN. It's something the doctors call a MELD score and when it reaches something like 15, it is time to at least start talking transplant even if you let it go a bit longer. But my score that had been around the 11-13 range actually went down to 9, and that means no transplant discussions for a while. My condition, known as NASH (Non-alcoholic steato hepatitis) can actually benefit from weight loss (unlike alcohol-induced cirrhosis, which cannot) and I finally broke through the plateau I had been at (on?) for months. I expect that this summer will see further improvements, but let's just say it was a case of MASSIVE positive feedback that the diet was worth it.

My next goal will be the next 10% once I break through this "1st 10%" barrier.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Doc, that is great news! There are plenty of benefits from losing weight and it seems like you have some concrete data specific to your case. I know with many disease states, there are categories where if you stay out of band X, you don't have to undergo procedure Y. Moving the needle in the right direction through your own proactive efforts gives you a sense of control over what seems to be uncontrollable.

And while I am on this thread on dieting, I hit 12st 4.5lbs this morning. That is only 0.5lbs away from my 2nd stage goal of losing 2 stone (28lbs). I MIGHT make 12st 4lbs before Saturdays French market!

Thanks, and good work, Jon, on approaching your milestone. My dieting profile and yours are different since I can't lose as fast. If I go "starvation" diet, my blood sugar, which is unstable probably due to the liver issues, leaves me light-headed. At which time I stay off the roads and sometimes even get reluctant to stay on my feet.

Yes, the positive feedback helps me feel that the efforts were justified. This summer should be interesting now that I've cracked the plateau.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
My daily routine includes a 3-mile walk, which I usually manage in about 70-75 minutes. I have my best weight loss when it is hot, and heat will be a common facet of any New Orleans summer. We normally run 95/95 (actual heat Fahrenheit/relative humidity) so July, August, and early September should be broiling hot.

As to your question, it is less about how my weight loss will affect my summer and more about how summer will affect my weight loss. Now that I passed the plateau, I might drop a few more pounds quickly.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Walking is a vastly underestimated exercise. I think I read something somewhere that a one hour walk is the equivalent to a 20 minute run. We are designed to walk lots. It is only since we mechanised and automated lots of farming that we are now much less active. Wasn't it like most land was used for agriculture, compared to today?

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
To the best of my understanding, a lot of land WAS cultivated, but a lot more was left alone because of transportation issues. Past a certain point a farm becomes too big to manage, particularly in an era where it's either horseback or horse-drawn wagons or Shank's mares for moving things. True, feudal lords would have lots of peasant farmers under his control, but they were not overly effective.

Today's technology of transportation AND our knowledge of fertilization not only allows us more efficiency in cultivation but allows us to manage larger areas more effectively, thus actually REDUCING our need for larger farms.

Walking is a vastly underestimated exercise.
Hippocratus of ancient Greece (he of the "Hippocratic Oath") is quoted as saying "Walking is the best medicine for a man."

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Oh if only I could. After work done on both knees, I have to stay with low-impact methods like long brisk walking around my neighborhood. (And hope that nobody lets the dogs out.)

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I hit a milestone today. I have now lost over 2 stone! That is over 28lbs to non-Brits.

I was 14st 4lbs and have now gone down to 12st 2.9lbs. So, I make that 29.1lbs lost to date. This last bit has been slow to lose, but I got there in the end!

Going for the final stage now, which is to get to 11st 12lbs. Only 5lbs left. The power of a decision!

weight loss chart.jpg