What really annoys you?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Google did their recent demo of their automated voice booking system, where they ring up the restaurant and book a table for you. Have you seen that?

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Reservations?

Most of the restaurants my wife and I attend are first-come, first-served. Reservations only occur if you are booking the back room for a party. In the main dining area, you give your name and wait. If you have to make reservations, the will be obvious that you want to impress someone with a glitzy ambience. But that just ain't N'Awlins.

At least part of that is due to the inescapable fact that in New Orleans, it is the neighborhood Mom-and-Pop eateries, the "one-off" joints, that serve the best food. The best seafood restaurant I have even visited in the area had worn linoleum tile floors, formica-top bench tables, long-bench picnic seating, and a roll of paper towels on a spindle in the middle of the table. But it ALSO had over 60 entree items - like fish: fried, baked, broiled, and grilled; oysters: fried, Rockerfeller, barbecued, and pan-sauteed; shrimp: fried, grilled, barbecued, in an Alfredo sauce, boiled in pepper sauce, ... plus they often have alligator: fried or as alligator sauce piquant' (not to be missed). And it's a buffet! Their veggie tables include peas, lima beans, corn, potatoes three or four ways, and a random selection of other things. They have five main salad types including tossed, Caesar, Waldorf, and a couple of others. And their dessert table has parfaits that should not be missed. The peanut butter parfait and the Oreo cookie parfait are to die for.

Reservations? The restaurant is painted cinder-block outside walls with a corrugated metal roof that hasn't glistened in decades. When you see the place you might have reservations about going in, but when you come out, if you DON'T waddle a bit, you didn't eat anything. When the food is as good as it is at that place, reservations are immaterial.

Bee

Founding Member
Sometime that annoys me today is doing my accounts, and there is a repetitive sequence of entries I have to do that would ideally suit a macro program. But that involves finding one, learning the damn thing and then setting it up.
Can't you simply record the macro yourself?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
It really annoys me that I have to do my washing! I did 3 lots today: whites, darks, bedding. Sucks up so much time. Can't wait for this to be roboticised.

To be honest, given the current trends of male/female relationships these days, the answer to the "Etc." question would probably go very far towards determining the probability of GETTING a W.I.F.E.

However, given the casual-wear trends and the predominance of Perma-Prest(TM) clothing, "Iron" is wrong. Probably "Interact."

Whoops! Sorry, Bee, but sometimes guys can get a bit raunchy. On the other hand, have you NEVER seen a guy do something and as a result of his action, rolled your eyes and said, "Men!" (with appropriate vehemence, of course.)

Gent, I remember that old phrase that hasn't changed a bit in modern times, other than that the irony of it all has increased:

Rule 1: The customer is always right
Rule 2: When in doubt, see rule 1

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Hunting for your credit card, realise it is not in your pocket and then your stomach drops. Then, you find you are already holding it. :sick: